Rise from the ashes

Rise from the ashes

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Some friendly advice

RLJ posted some awesome training advice on his blog: http://www.lovatojr.com/2010/01/there-is-no-winning-in-training.html

It involves, in training, not always playing your strengths... because you'll never improve the areas your weak at. It involves taking risks and opening up your game, even though you might get submitted. After all, it's training. And wouldn't you rather try something or make a mistake and get caught in training then competition??!!? I mean, if you screw up in training that's how you learn.

I default to what I am good at so easily. Even on the days that I try to intentionally train something I am weak at. Because it's so automatic to just transition to what you are good at or what comes naturally.

I don't want to have an ego.

I want to be a good training partner.

I want to make the most of training.

I want to force myself to face my weaknesses and work on them.

Not just in jiu jitsu, but as always, it parallels with life.

1 comment:

  1. love your writing. write more please..... :) if you have time, energy or desire. ;) xo

    ReplyDelete