Rise from the ashes

Rise from the ashes

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Worlds 2009: Day 1

Well we are here in what is supposed to be sunny California, only it's been rainy and overcast all day. What's worse is it's cold, colder than I expected anyway. I'm exhausted, beyond exhausted actually. Traveling is tiring, especially when your journey starts with the cell phone alarm blaring at 5 AM, which is always wearisome. However, when my alarm rang at 5, I awoke to that sick feeling you get when your body is so sleep deprived it hurts all over. My alarm sounded after I'd accumulated just over 2 hours of sleep. As per usual, I unintentionally waited until the last minute to pack, zipping up my suitcase shut at about 1:30 AM. Then, my friend, mentor and team mate came by, unable to sleep, as the reality of his pending world championship fights swirled around in his mind. He left after close to 3 AM.
Fortunately, I easily caught a few hours of much needed rest here and there on the flights today. Not enough. But it got me through the day until now. And, the day wasn't all rush and travel and blur. I spent a few hours in the hot pool at the hotel, which was heavenly. Went to a fantastic sushi restaurant. And it's only just beginning.
Tomorrow 4 of my friends and teammates fight. And there will be quite the celebration if medals are awarded all around.
I wish I was competing too. I could feel sorry for myself, but I easily cast off the dejected bitter thoughts of life and it's painful and disappointing twists and turns. After all, this is the World Championships, and competitor or spectator, there's no where else I'd rather be.
This is the place to be if you love jiu jitsu.

No comments:

Post a Comment